By Claude Lecouteux
• finds the therapeutic and magical virtues of popular gems, equivalent to amethyst, emerald, and diamond, in addition to the lore surrounding unique stones comparable to astrios, a stone celebrated through historical magicians
• Examines bezoars (stones shaped in animals’ our bodies) and “magnets” that allure fabrics except steel
• in response to old Arabic, Greek, Jewish, and ecu resources, starting from the observations of Pliny the Elder to super infrequent texts resembling the Picatrix and Damigeron’s Virtue of Stones
Our ancestors believed stones have been domestic to sacred beings of strength, entities that if thoroughly understood and cultivated may supply humans safety from in poor health fortune, envy, and witchcraft; provide invisibility and different magical powers; increase reminiscence; and heal the ill from a wide selection of illnesses. those merits will be bought by way of donning the stone on a hoop, bracelet, or pendant; via therapeutic massage remedies with the stone; or by way of decreasing the gem right into a powder and consuming it combined with water or wine.
Drawing from a wealth of historical Arabic, Greek, Jewish, and eu sources--from the observations of Pliny the Elder to tremendous infrequent texts reminiscent of the Picatrix and Damigeron’s Virtue of Stones--Claude Lecouteux offers a synthesis of all recognized lore for greater than 800 stones. He contains such universal examples because the emerald, which while engraved with the determine of a harpy preserving a lamprey in its claws will banish panic and nightmares, and beryl, which whilst safely carved can summon water spirits or win its proprietor excessive renown, in addition to extra unique stones corresponding to astrios, a stone celebrated via historical magicians and whose middle glows like a celeb. Lecouteux additionally examines bezoars--stones shaped in animals’ bodies--as good as “magnets” that allure fabrics except iron, corresponding to gold, flesh, cotton, or scorpions.
This complete dictionary of sacred and magical gem lore, drawn from the rarest assets of Antiquity and the center a while, represents a exclusive source for gem fanatics and magical practitioners alike.
Read Online or Download A Lapidary of Sacred Stones: Their Magical and Medicinal Powers Based on the Earliest Sources PDF
Similar folklore & mythology books
"They say that the eldest of the chief's daughters. .. " So starts a story from the Basotho, opened up by means of the meager mild of a dung fireplace that burns smokily at the back of the reed monitor sheltering the doorway of the hut. The previous ones of the tribe wait until eventually darkish sooner than telling their tales, for everybody understands horns will develop from the pinnacle of 1 who tells a narrative in the course of daytime.
Supplying a discussion among anthropology and literature, tradition, and media, this ebook offers fine-grained ethnographic vignettes of monsters residing within the modern international. those monsters hail from Aboriginal Australia, the Pacific, Asia, and Europe, and their presence is inextricably intertwined with the lives of these they hang-out.
To what volume did mythological figures corresponding to Circe and Medea impression the illustration of the robust 'oriental' enchantress in glossy Western artwork? What position did the traditional gods and heroes play within the building of the imaginary worlds of the trendy fable style? what's the function of undead creatures like zombies and vampires in mythological motion pictures?
The attract and secret of mermaids has taken carry of our psyche for a while. From the Irish merrows who come on land to go looking for human husbands to the pretend Fiji Mermaid made preferred through P. T Barnum, those sea maidens (and occasionally males) are available in folklore and mythology from each culture on the earth.
- Haunted Hannibal: History and Mystery in America's Hometown (Haunted America)
- Tibetan Tales Derived from Indian Sources: Volume 97 (Trubner's Oriental Series)
- Folk Nation: Folklore in the Creation of American Tradition (American Visions: Readings in American Culture)
- Tarpeia: Workings of a Roman Myth
- Indian Tales of North America: An Anthology for the Adult Reader (Bibliographical & Special Series)
- Encyclopedia of Fairies in World Folklore and Mythology
Additional resources for A Lapidary of Sacred Stones: Their Magical and Medicinal Powers Based on the Earliest Sources